Under close direct supervision, this non-sworn, non-peace officer, uniformed position is assigned as a part-time civilian employee in the Police Department to provide superior customer service and assist in a variety of support staff duties; Police Cadets can be assigned to any other division within the Police department to perform Non-Peace Officer duties as related; this position requires evening, weekend and holiday work; and performs related work as required.
I. The following duties are typical for this classification.
Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Perform various clerical duties; Assists the public at the front counter; Maintains records and files;
- Receives and provides information on the telephone, internet or other electronic equipment or devices and in person, according to established policies and procedures of the Police Department;
- Take crime reports such as Grand Theft Auto (GTA), Burglary, Theft, and reports involving lost or stolen property; operates business office machines and computers;
- Assists in fingerprinting and photographing citizens for licenses, permits, etc.;
- Assists in the preservation and logging of evidence and personal property; enforces traffic control, parking regulations, codes, and ordinances, including impounding vehicles and directing traffic; · Can be assigned to bicycle related duties throughout the City;
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring the duties of the position that are performed in a safe and efficient manner; and Performs related duties as assigned or as the situation requires.
II. Ability to:
- Work in a Police Department work environment;
- Read, understand, and explain laws, regulations, rules, and department policies to the public;
- Analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action, giving due regard to surrounding hazardous circumstances;
- Understand oral and written directions;
- Prepare and write accurate and factual reports in a clear, legible, and precise manner;
- Maintain cooperative relationships with fellow employees and the public;
- Work under strict discipline;
- Effectively handle stressful situations;
- Establish smooth working relationships;
- Ride a bicycle.
III. Graduation from high school or attainment of GED (General Education Degree) or CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Examination)
- Must be enrolled in a recognized college or university while employed as a Police Cadet or until, at minimum, a Bachelor’s Degree is acquired.
- Age: Must be 18 years of age at the time of hire.
- DESIRABLE QUALIFICATION: Ability to Speak Spanish.
- Valid California driver’s license is required and a satisfactory driving record.
- Must be CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) certified.
V. Special Requirements:
- Must pass a Police Department background check;
- Requires wearing a uniform.
Provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice. The City of Huntington Park has adopted a “No Smoking Policy” in City facilities to promote the health of employees and citizens.